Thursday, September 22, 2011

I see EVERYTHING!

Having 2 classes at once is very challenging. The students are very aware of the fact that there are so many of them in the gym. They think it is the perfect time to mess around and not be seen. Little do they know that I can see EVERYTHING! Or at least that's what I told them. They think they are so smart and sneaky but because I have a good 2 feet height advantage on most of them, I usually can see them. Last week we were learning a little dance and these two boys thought it was the perfect time to mess around. I noticed and while teaching the dance I would stare at them for like 30 seconds at a time. When I looked away, they would start again so I would stare again. One boy finally made eye contact with me and when he noticed me watching, his face turned into pure guilt. The expression was priceless. Then another group of kids started misbehaving and I did the same thing. This time I walked over to them and made a couple of them sit on the steps for a bit. I love that they have no idea I see them. Near the end of class I talked to everyone about how teachers have eyes on the back of their heads and can see everything and warned them to watch out. So this week all it took was for me to give a stern look at them or point to my eyes and they behaved. I even had some students ask me where my other eyes were :) Pure satisfaction right there! 

My students know that I am a BYU fan so after the horrible should-not-be-brought-up-again game last weekend, my kids kept giving me a bunch of crap or wearing all of their Utah clothes. But I know the influence I can have and it was proved yesterday with a group of 2nd graders (same ones who tried to tickle my sweaty armspits-see story below). When a class is good, they get to put a sticker on a chart and this class earned their sticker. This little girl picked a blue football sticker so I said, "Alright, you chose this for BYU!" Then all of a sudden a group of kids start chanting, BYU, BYU, BYU! Then both classes are doing it and I didn't even tell them to. Made me so proud! Got to convert them young!
At the end of class I did the same thing I did last time and opened both doors so my arms were both out (once again, see story below). I was afraid of getting tickled again but only received hugs :) Gotta love little children!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things might be improving for you. I love having magic eyes.

    ReplyDelete