Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Some Stories from the first 3 Weeks

Before I dive into some of the stories, let me give you a little background about my job. I am an elementary PE teacher that covers 2 schools. I teach grades K-6. I am at one 3 days a week (considered my home school) and the other 2 days a week. My home school is great. The kids are great, faculty, everything. My other school is a challenge to put it lightly. It's in a rougher part of Salt Lake and a Title 1 school meaning the kids are from lower income familes. They are really diverse and I have many students who do not speak English, are really disrespectful, and don't seem to be very disciplined. One of the hardest parts about my job is that because I'm over 2 schools, my classes are combined so I have 2 at once. THAT MEANS ANYWHERE FROM 40-60 STUDENTS AT ONCE! I see over 1200 students each week too so that's also a challenge. And with that said, here are some stories:

Something scary/crazy-At my harder school I was teaching a kindergarten class. It was just their second full day of school ever so keep that in mind. I also have them during the lunch hour so students are constantly moving in the hallways going to lunch or recess. The lesson was going pretty well except I knew this little girl didn't speak English because she wasn't following any of my directions. I gave some commands in Spanish but she didn't respond to those either so I had no idea what language she spoke. The next thing I know she is running to the door trying to get out of the gym. I run over there and she goes down on the floor crying and screaming bloody murder. I HAVE NEVER heard a cry like that and I didn't know if I had done something wrong or what. Then when I turn around to take care of the rest of the class she runs out the door and tries to get outside. I have to grab her to keep her inside. Luckily one of the resource aids was in the hall so I called her over. She basically had to take over from there so I could take care of the rest of the class who had no idea what was going on and started freaking out as well. Two other little girls started crying and saying they wanted to go home or wanted their mom. So for the rest of the class I'm trying to keep these little kindergarteners busy while you can hear their classmate screaming in the hallway for like 15 minutes. Later I finally got to talk to the teacher that helped out. She said they couldn't calm her down but luckily found her older sister to talk to her. Turns out they are from Nepal so speak a language I've never heard of. They also were able to find out that the little girl realized her backpack wasn't with her and thought someone stole it. CRAZY! I can't describe the panic I felt when she started freaking out and how hard it was to compose myself and the rest of the class.

Now something funny- I have two 2nd grade classes at the end of the day. I had each class line up so they could leave at the same time. So I was holding two doors open at once meaning my arms were outstretched and they were walking under. I teach PE so yes, I am active all day and do get sweaty. While I'm holding the doors open a little boy stops and points at my armpits saying, "Eww, you're so sweaty." And then he reaches up and touches it! Touches my sweaty armpits! Not only is that completely disgusting on his part but I really don't want people touching me there. Then to make it worse, other little kids see that and as they walk out they do the same thing or try to tickle me. I had to try so hard not to slam the door in their faces!

And this post is really long already so I'll just do one more. I was teaching playground games one week which included 4 square, teatherball, and knockout. We did a little tag game before to warm up and this little boy crashed into someone and hurt his nose. I basically told him he was fine and to keep playing. Then outside someone comes over to me and tells me someone got hurt. It was the same boy and he got hit with the ball in the stomach during 4 square. Late, that same boy gets hit in the head with the teatherball. Then hit again during knockout. Every single activity we did he was getting hurt! It took everything I had not to laugh at him and I told him to get some ice (because in elementary school that makes everything better). Later I was telling the story to some teachers in the faculty lounge. One asked me which kid it was and when I told her, all the teachers died laughing. Apparently this kid gets hurt all of the time so I guess I better keep an eye out.

4 comments:

  1. You haven't killed anybody yet, so, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the tickling kindergarteners story - so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh accident prone children... so fun haha. Thanks for posting all of your stories so I can live through you haha. Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete