Hiking is something I absolutely love. You get a nice workout while enjoying the beauty and serenity of nature. It also helps me appreciate Heavenly Father's creation and I feel closer to Him. With that said, I can't believe it took me moving out of Utah County to finally conquer Mt. Timpanogos. I lived in Provo for 5 years but never hiked it. So last weekend on September 10, some of my friends were going up and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity again. We started the hike at 7am and made it to the top by noon. The hike up really wasn't that bad except for a couple of really steep parts. My biggest problem was that my hip joint was acting up and killed with certain movements. I dug deep and found an extra store of energy on the last part though and got ahead of the group. I waited for my friend Jill and we were the first two to make it. We stayed at the top for nearly an hour and then headed down. There was no way I was going down the glacier since my job requires me to be healthy and injury free so we headed back the same way we came. Usually going downhill is my favorite part but not on this hike. The impact on my hip was really painful and the end just never seemed to come. Finally we saw the parking lot at about 5:10 pm. Not only were we all tired and hungry but the BYU football game started at 5 and we were missing it! So we drove back, quickly showered, grabbed some food, and only saw the 2nd half of the football game (which we lost--so mad). I also don't want to brag but except for my hip, I really wasn't sore at all from this hike and carried on as normal which is great since I had to teach Monday.
No hike is complete without pictures so here are a few:
The big question now is will I do it again? If you asked me right after I would have said, "NO!" I really didn't like how long it took to come down and I really had to use the bathroom! But I may have changed my mind since then and will most likely do it again. The views were gorgeous and I loved the feeling of accomplishment I got at the top. One of my friends mom's was with us and this was her 15th time. I can't see myself doing it that many but it may be an every summer thing if I stick around the area. Then again, once is enough right! :)
Was kristina in that pic???? The one with the I heart NY shirt?
ReplyDeleteNope, someone else.
ReplyDelete