Finally I went in to see the ENT. He said I had developed a type of film over my tonsils which is impenetrable. That is why as soon as I was off a prescription, I would get sick again. It kept it at bay but wouldn't be able to get rid of it. Strep would basically never go away as long as I had tonsils. My tonsils are also gigantic even when not sick so that along with some other things made me a perfect candidate for a tonsillectomy. He warned me that this is one of the most painful surgeries for an adult because there is a 10-14 day recovery. I just wanted them to be out so I could start working on getting better and I scheduled my surgery for as soon as possible. It would be just a week later on January 17.
Being a teacher, I was most concerned about missing so much work. This is only my 2nd year so I don't have very many sick days and finding a sub that's reliable for PE is another job in and of itself. Miraculously, two days later I had the ok from both Principals and had subs lined up. I would have my surgery just before a 4 day weekend so although getting 14 days to recover, I would only be using 8 sick days. Things seemed to work out quite nicely so I was confident I made the right decision.
I was able to thoroughly enjoy my meals for the rest of the week knowing I wouldn't be able to eat normal for 2 weeks. I also didn't feel guilty with my daily Dr. Pepper and extra desserts because I also knew I would probably lose 10 lbs while recovering. Plus, I decided I wouldn't start any resolutions until I was better. I had some good "last meals" with friends and enjoyed a great last supper the night before at my aunt and uncle's house. By now I was sure I had strep again as my tonsils were very swollen but that didn't stop me from enjoying a wonderful meal. My uncle and grandpa also gave me a very nice blessing which calmed my nerves a bit.
Here is a picture of my tonsils the night before surgery: Warning, it is disgusting!
I remember the anesthesiologist giving me the "brave juice" as he called it and then I was out. The surgery lasted about 40 minutes and it took me another hour or so to wake up. Once I was up, I felt the pain right away. Sarah said I had tears streaming down my cheeks when they put me in the recovery room. I was quickly given some pain meds and was much better. The doctor ended up taking out my tonsils, adenoids, and adenoid tissue. They said it is very unusual to have adenoid tissue as an adult but leave it to me to be the exception. My uvula was about 10 times its normal size but everything else was good. I managed to eat some crushed ice and an Italian ice but that was it. Sarah got my prescriptions and after deciding I felt ok, we left around 11. Going home was miserable. I was nauseous and way out of it. Sarah managed to get me inside and since then all I've done is lounge around, complain, and sleep.
Here is a picture we took right after I got home:
See how swollen my Uvula is?
All in all, the pain isn't terrible but it is uncomfortable. I got sick of jello, ice, and popsicles quickly but those are really the easiest things to eat. I've managed a couple pieces of bread, eggs, and finally oatmeal today but don't mind being hungry. Most of the time I'd rather be hungry then go through the pain it takes to swallow. Apparently today was supposed to be the worst since I'm starting to form scabs. I would agree with that. It's also been hard being so tired and dizzy with the pain meds and I get bored but hopefully in two weeks, it will all be worth it! I can't wait to swallow without it being painful.

No comments:
Post a Comment