The first week up of April was Spring Break. I don't think I've ever wanted to go home more, just to get away from work and Utah. I had big plans of golfing everyday, eating without thinking about calories or working out, watching too much tv, and spending time with family. I accomplished all of those things except for golfing. I forgot how temperamental the Spring is in the San Luis Valley. One day the wind blew REALLY hard. So hard in fact that the power was out for a couple of hours when someone's roof flew off their house and hit a power line. Another day it snowed. Other days were just too busy so I only got to the golf course once. I did get to spend a lot of time with my family though which was the main goal. This included helping Whitney move and going down to Old Town Santa Fe. I hadn't been there for a very long time so it was cool to see it. We had fun eating delicious Mexican food, walking through shops, looking at the Indian jewelry, and walking through the old churches.
I loved the spiral staircase at the Loretto Chapel. It doesn't have any supports and the banister wasn't added until later. I wanted to climb it really bad but that wasn't allowed unfortunately.
It was hard to get back into the swing of things after Spring Break but I got to use a couple of my personal days I had saved up which helped a lot. One day was spent playing 27 holes of golf with my friend and fellow teacher Kristen. The weather was great too. Another personal day was set aside for mountain biking but the weather was bad and I woke up sick. Still, I didn't have to teach that day so staying home watching movies was still a good break.
Despite the breaks, I did work a lot in April as well. Some days were awesome, a couple in particular where I LOVED my job. Other days were hard which is normal. I also had the worst day I've had all year and that is when I cried during one of my double classes. Cried! I was embarrassed and never thought it would happen but it did. Multiple students were especially rude and disrespectful that day. I got really frustrated and started lecturing which turned into yelling and eventually crying. I must say though that it was the quietest I had ever seen that class. I got lots of apologies and teachers brought students down to talk to me so maybe it will turn into a positive thing. We will see how it goes tomorrow. At least they know their actions have consequences and that teachers do have feelings now.
As difficult as this year has been, there have also been some really great moments, days, and even weeks. I can't believe my first year of teaching is almost over. I have just one month left!
No comments:
Post a Comment